Time Line

History of mills at Beeleigh

Date Event
6th Century Water Mill at Beeleigh owned by a local thane called Siward.
1085/86 Domesday Survey reports ownership passed to the Lordship of Ranulf Peverel.
1180 Beeleigh Abbey is founded by the Premonstratensian Order.
1189 Beeleigh Abbey takes possession of the Mill.
1536 ‘Suppression’ and ‘Dissolution’: Beeleigh Mill owned by Sir John Gate.
1553 Sir John transferred the Mill to William March.
1559 William Marsh’s son, Will Marsh, sold it to John Wiseman of Felsted.
1573 Beeleigh Mill leased to Thomas White of All Saints, Maldon and to the Baswickes.
1594 In Thomas Brett’s will: the Mill is bequeathed to his son John Brett.
1618 Purchased by Sir Henry Mildmay.
c1700 The Strutt family take possession. (They also owned or leased mills at Moulsham, Springfield, Hoe Mill and Wickham Bishops).
1706 to 1747 John Strutt was the Miller. His nephew, also John Strutt, and John Crosier Snr. worked as apprentices to the Miller.
1753 Nephew John Strutt bought the Mill from his Uncle.
1774 to 1790 Nephew John Strutt was MP for Maldon.
1777 John Crozier Snr. purchased the Mill from John Strutt MP.
1793 The Navigation Company purchased the Mill for £7,150 (to ease legal difficulties caused by the construction of the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation).
1795 Beeleigh Mill sold (at a loss) to John Dunkin of Southwark.
1797 John Dunkin and his partner Mr. Stammers (of nearby Stammers Farm) rebuilt the Mill (which partially remains today).
1822 The Mill is owned by Mr. Kingsford.
1834 Mill sold to Joseph Ward of Merton Hills for £4,520.
1837 Beeleigh Mill’s Wentworth Beam Engine was manufactured and installed at an unknown location.
1840 In-line gearing installed on the south wheel drive; (John Ward advertised sale of a complete set of conventional gearing).
1845 Joseph Ward added the Steam Mill.
1845 Joseph Ward built Beeleigh Falls House.
1875 12th March – the F I R E .
The mill was abandoned after the fire, as rebuilding was considered uneconomical.
1893 Christopher Cail bought the Mill and freehold land for £2,820.
1960 The site passed into the hands of Essex Water Company (who re-roofed the Steam Mill).
1970 Headrace filled in.
1971 John Booker carried out a survey.
1992 Sir Fred Dibnah visited with the BBC (for broadcast in 1996).
1994 Essex County Council acquired the lease.
1994 Maldon Archaeology Group undertook an excavation of the surface.
2007 ECC’s Field Archaeology unit evaluated the Auxiliary’s hideout.
2009 15th Oct.: Beeleigh Mill Restoration Group formed.